Tuesday 25 August 2009

Σχολή

Olson writes in his preface to the Oxford Thesmophoriazousae commentary, which he edited with Colin Austin:


I arrived at the train station in Cambridge deeply ill at ease, expecting hard questions, difficult negotiations, and perhaps an abrupt and unhappy end to my trip. But the next day after lunch, after Colin had spent the morning reading through what I had given him and we were sitting together in his upstairs study, he turned to me and said simply, 'Well, how shall we go about doing this?' Our partnership has been easy and cordial ever since.


... But I recall with great fondness Colin and Mishtu's hospitality to me in their wonderful home full of books, children and grandchildren, students, fine wine, and Mishtu's beautiful batiks and the smell of her extraordinary cooking.

No comments: